Frank Chetko, 78, of 2177 Lagoon Dr., Dunedin, FL, formerly of 118 Glenwood Ave., Binghamton, NY, went to be with his Lord, Wednesday, August 19, 1987, at his daughter’s home in Johnson City, NY. He was predeceased by his wife, Anna, in 1985. He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Charles and Nancy Chetko, Bridgeport, CT.; two daughters and sons-in-law, Shirley and William Merrall, Dunedin, FL, Roxanne and Paul P. Misata, Johnson City; seven grandchildren; four great grandchildren; a sister, Mary Pigos, Binghamton; also several nieces and nephews. He was a photographer for the Binghamton Sun, the Endicott Johnson Corporation and retired from SUNY-Binghamton. He was a charter member of the National Press Photographer’s Assoc. He was a 50-year member of the Sokol USA and the Honorary Chairman of the Public Relations Department Sokol USA. He was a past president and member of Lodge 36 Sokol USA. He was a member of the Czechoslovakian American Society in St. Petersburg, FL. He was a navy veteran of World War II, a member of the First Ward American Legion, and the DAV Chapter 60. He was an avid athlete, playing baseball for the Triplets, playing semi-professional football and basketball.
Binghamton Clinton St. Store
Factory on Helen Drive, Johnson City,NY, built 1921, named for the successful conclusion of WW I housed West End and Women’s Fine McKay operations with a capacity of 22,000 pairs of shoes daily. Bob Blakeslee worked in cutting room of West End in 1951.
EJ Security Annex in Endicott,NY. with light-colored IBM facilities in the background.
Endicott Oak Hill Ave. Plant
Infants Factory on Corliss Avenue, Johnson City, NY, built 1916, called the Pioneer Annex by locals. The first two floors were used to produce shipping cartons for the company.
C.F.J. Factory (Boys,Youths,& Men’s McKay Operations) adjacent to Lester Avenue,J.C., NY built in 1913, named for C.Fred Johnson, brother of George F.Johnson producing up to 24,000 pairs of shoes daily. Cafeteria with porch serving up 2,000 meals intially at 15¢ each, 35¢ in 1951. Victory Factory on left.
EJ factory complex in Endicott,NY
EJ Workers Public Market, adjacent to C.F.J. Park, Johnson City, NY, built in 1934 for $120,000 with 40,000 square feet, 200 vendor stalls, and air conditioning replacing the original market, open to everyone 3 days a week. The official name was “John S. Patterson Market”, named for the private caterer George F. Johnson paid to start the original market in 1917. The market closed sometime in the mid-50’s and was converted to the Zing Factory for manufacturing.
Ranger/Paracord Factory adjacent to C.F.J. Park in Johnson City built in 1944 to produce footwear for the military. Locals referred to the new (and old) Paracord plant as the “rubber mill.” C.F.J. Park swimming pool at left of picture. The Pagoda Pump-house can be seen at the left of the photo is the only preserved structure from this entire factory complex which covered about 30 acres. The Gannett printing facility now occupies this site.
Looking West along Lackawanna tracks at Willow Street,Johnson City.Sunrise Factory in center completed in 1929 named to suggest a new day coming in the nation. Sunrise produced the all-rubber boots and overshoes for EJ with a walkway across the tracks to the Jigger Factory at right built in 1926, taking its name from the rubber-soled canvas-topped footwear called “Jiggers. Both factories initially used a common labor force of some 400 employees. In the summer,Sunrise workers produced foot-wear for winter use; in the winter, the same workers moved to the Jigger factory and produced footwear for summer use. Jigger was demolished in February 2012. Light factory at the left was the Fair Play Caramel Company.
Sunrise Factory looking west. All Sports Factory on left partially obscured by smoke from train engine.
C.F.J. Annex (center) in Johnson City, housing the heeling, lining and trimming departments built in 1921.
“All Sports Factory” in foreground at Lackawanna Railroad crossing at Baldwin Street, JC, NY built in 1923. Originally called South End Factory, then the Welt Factory. Ice skates and cleated athletic shoes were the most popular products. The Sunrise Factory can be seen on the left.
Pioneer factory complex at the corner of Willow Street and Corliss Avenue, looking west on Corliss Avenue occupied an entire block. The original factory had a 225 horsepower Corliss steam engine to supply power.
Endicott Johnson Complex on North Street, Endicott, NY
Nurses Home in Johnson City provided housing for 85 nurses and student nurses at Wilson Memorial Hospital (in background). The facility was given by C. Fred Johnson in memory of his wife.
Chas. S. Wilson Memorial Hospital Annex on Clinton Street, Binghamton, NY
Fire Prevention Station No.1 on Avenue B in Johnson City,NY
Any information about the locations of the photographs,
Frank Chetko, or EJ would be appreciated.
Captions by Bob Blakeslee who worked at EJ in the fifties are appreciated.
More of Frank’s photographs are available.
Contact Dennis Dunda (607) 722-4377
Visit http://www.kwikfold.com for trade show displays, photography,
and web site creation.