V Mail “Victory Mail”

431218 V-Mail Packaging

Introducing V-Mail

Following the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States declared war on Japan and entered the largest full-scale war in history. As war raged around the world, countries divided into Axis and Allied powers and battlefields spanned across Europe, Asia, and Africa. Members of the armed forces were deployed to the far reaches of the globe and were separated from their families.

In a days before email, cell phones, and text messaging, letters served as a vital link between loved ones and friends. Army Post Offices (APOs), Fleet Post Offices (FPOs), and U.S. post offices alike were flooded with mail sent by service members and sweethearts. According to the 1945 Annual Report to the Postmaster General, mail dispatched to the Army in that fiscal year reached 2,533,938,330 pieces compared to the prior year total of 1,482,000,000 and fiscal 1943 sum of only 570,633,000 items. The Navy received 838,644,537 in fiscal year 1945 whereas the prior period saw 463,266,667 mail items sent. The bulk and weight of parcels and letters was competing with military supplies in transport vehicles. Officials from the Post Office, War, and Navy Departments faced a large problem: Was there a way to save room for equipment and still deliver the mail?

Mailing to the frontlines: American soldier finds lost letters near Auw, Germany; February 1945. National Archives (111-SC-200677).
Mailing to the frontlines: American soldier finds lost letters near Auw, Germany; February 1945. National Archives (111-SC-200677).

Operating V-Mail

The Post Office, War, and Navy Departments worked together to ensure V-Mail for civilians and service members around the world. Numerous personnel, expensive pieces of equipment, photographic supplies, ships, and planes were needed to process and deliver V-Mail. The volume of mail and supplies was such that all three departments were needed to keep the network operational and keep the mail moving.

The Post Office Department was responsible for domestic dispatch and handling of mail. The Post Office sorted V-Mail by respective Army and Navy post offices and delivered it to the V-Mail stations in the United States. Postal authorities divided the continental U.S. into three regions and funneled the incoming and outgoing V-Mail to three facilities: New York, San Francisco, and Chicago. At the ports of embarkation the War and Navy Departments took over postal duties and Kodak ran the V-Mail photography operations. The military was responsible for the transportation of mail destined for overseas personnel. Getting V-Mail to and from the field depended upon a network of V-Mail plants at key locations in the European and Pacific theaters.

Technology was the linchpin in this inter-agency, international network. At the center was the Recordak machine that was initially developed by the Eastman Kodak Company for bank records. The microphotography equipment was designed for ease of use and mass production of recorded materials. Great Britain’s Airgraph Service relied on Kodak for shrinking letters onto microfilm for shipment. Following that lead, the U.S. War Department entered into a contract with the Eastman Kodak Company on May 8, 1942 to use Recordak machines to process V-Mail.

Kodak coordinated the photographic operations in the continental U.S. When it came to the far-flung overseas V-Mail stations, the processing was in the hands of the U.S. military. There, staff relied on the Recordak’s straight-forward design and function to process mail quickly. Captain James Hudson, trained by Eastman Kodak Company, operated V-Mail in Cairo, Egypt, described the machine’s actions:

“It accepted a stack of regular size sheets of paper, about 8 x 11, and fed them one at a time through this machine that was about the size of a small chest of drawers, or today’s paper copier. Cleverly, a light scanned the sheet through a narrow, transverse slot and exposed one frame of a 16 mm motion picture film that was synchronized with it, so that one tiny frame had the image of the full sheet of paper. For those days, that was a lot of compression and tremendous synchronization to make it happen. Kodak gets all the credit for that innovation” http://postalmuseum.si.edu/VictoryMail/operating/flipbook_flash.html

photo_lg_2004_2016_5

Using V-Mail

V-Mail letter sheets were designed to make the microfilming process easy. The distinguishing marks and uniform size of V-Mail stationery helped workers gather the folded letter sheets for their special processing. All sheets were set to standard dimensions, weight, grain, and layout.

The materials were produced by the Government Printing Office as well as printing and stationery firms that had been issued permits by the Post Office Department. Multiple suppliers were used to get the V-Mail forms to the people quickly.

The Post Office Department provided customers with special stationery for free. Correspondents could obtain two sheets per day from their local post office. Others opted to purchase the materials that were readily available in neighborhood stores.

V-Mail stationery functioned as a letter and envelope in one. Once the sender had completed her message, she put the recipient’s and return addresses at the top and then folded the sheet into a self-mailing piece. This set of addresses was essential to the final stages for delivery because only this side was reproduced from microfilm to photographic print.

The sender repeated addresses a second time on the opposite side of the sheet. This set, on the “envelope” side of the form, was used to carry the mail along its first stage of the journey from a mailbox to a processing center.

You can print out a copy of a blank V-Mail form (http://postalmuseum.si.edu/VictoryMail/images/vmail.pdf) to use as stationery. If you want to mail it, be sure to use first-class postage.

photo_lg_2004_2016_4

Letter Writing in World War II

For members of the armed forces the importance of mail during World War II was second only to food. The emotional power of letters was heightened by the fear of loss and the need for communication during times of separation. Messages from a husband, father, or brother, killed in battle might provide the only surviving connection between him and his family. The imminence of danger and the uncertainty of war placed an added emphasis on letter writing. Emotions and feelings that were normally only expressed on special occasions were written regularly to ensure devotion and support.

Military personnel felt the most connected to home through reading about it in letters. Civilians were encouraged to write their service men and women about even the most basic activities. Daily routines, family news, and local gossip kept the armed forces linked to their communities.

Wartime romances adjusted to long distances and sweethearts and spouses separated by oceans used mail to stay in touch. Couples were married on furlough and babies were born while their fathers were away at the battlefront. Letters kept America’s troops informed about home life and detailed accounts allowed them to be in the war and have that critical link back to their families. Others wrote to kindle new relationships and fight off the loneliness and boredom of wartime separation.

Mail played a significant role in maintaining morale on the battlefront and at home, and officials supported that role by working to ensure mail communications during wartime. V-Mail service could ensure this communication with added security and speed. The Office of War Information and the Advertising Council worked with commercial businesses and the community to spread the word about this new service and its benefits.

V-Mail was promoted as patriotic with advertisements emphasizing contributions to the war effort, such as saving cargo space and providing messages to lift spirits. To allay the fears and misconceptions of would-be V-Mail writers, news reports explained how the letters were processed and sped to military personnel.

photo_lg_0_260305_49_33_2

photo_lg_44-PA-2251A

Advertisements

Frank Chetko, Photographer Endicott Johnson Shoe Manufacturing Circa 1950

Frank Chetko, 78, of 2177 Lagoon Dr., Dunedin, FL, formerly of 118 Glenwood Ave., Binghamton, NY, went to be with his Lord, Wednesday, August 19, 1987, at his daughter’s home in Johnson City, NY. He was predeceased by his wife, Anna, in 1985. He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Charles and Nancy Chetko, Bridgeport, CT.; two daughters and sons-in-law, Shirley and William Merrall, Dunedin, FL, Roxanne and Paul P. Misata, Johnson City; seven grandchildren; four great grandchildren; a sister, Mary Pigos, Binghamton; also several nieces and nephews. He was a photographer for the Binghamton Sun, the Endicott Johnson Corporation and retired from SUNY-Binghamton. He was a charter member of the National Press Photographer’s Assoc. He was a 50-year member of the Sokol USA and the Honorary Chairman of the Public Relations Department Sokol USA. He was a past president and member of Lodge 36 Sokol USA. He was a member of the Czechoslovakian American Society in St. Petersburg, FL. He was a navy veteran of World War II, a member of the First Ward American Legion, and the DAV Chapter 60. He was an avid athlete, playing baseball for the Triplets, playing semi-professional football and basketball.

http://www.frankchetko.kwikfold.com/index.html

Binghamton Clinton St. Store
Binghamton Clinton St. Store
Factory on Helen Drive, Johnson City,NY, built 1921, named for the successful conclusion of WW I housed West End and Women's Fine McKay operations with a capacity of 22,000 pairs of shoes daily. Bob Blakeslee worked in cutting room of West End in 1951.
Factory on Helen Drive, Johnson City,NY, built 1921, named for the successful conclusion of WW I housed West End and Women’s Fine McKay operations with a capacity of 22,000 pairs of shoes daily. Bob Blakeslee worked in cutting room of West End in 1951.
EJ Security Annex in Endicott,NY. with light-colored IBM facilities in the background.
EJ Security Annex in Endicott,NY. with light-colored IBM facilities in the background.
Endicott Oak Hill Ave. Plant
Endicott Oak Hill Ave. Plant
Infants Factory on Corliss Avenue, Johnson City, NY, built 1916, called the Pioneer Annex by locals. The first two floors were used to produce shipping cartons for the company.
Infants Factory on Corliss Avenue, Johnson City, NY, built 1916, called the Pioneer Annex by locals. The first two floors were used to produce shipping cartons for the company.
C.F.J. Factory (Boys,Youths,& Men's McKay Operations) adjacent to Lester Avenue,J.C., NY built in 1913, named for C.Fred Johnson, brother of George F.Johnson producing up to 24,000 pairs of shoes daily. Cafeteria with porch serving up 2,000 meals intially at 15¢ each, 35¢ in 1951. Victory Factory on left.
C.F.J. Factory (Boys,Youths,& Men’s McKay Operations) adjacent to Lester Avenue,J.C., NY built in 1913, named for C.Fred Johnson, brother of George F.Johnson producing up to 24,000 pairs of shoes daily. Cafeteria with porch serving up 2,000 meals intially at 15¢ each, 35¢ in 1951. Victory Factory on left.
EJ factory complex in Endicott,NY
EJ factory complex in Endicott,NY
EJ Workers Public Market, adjacent to C.F.J. Park, Johnson City, NY, built in 1934 for $120,000 with 40,000 square feet, 200 vendor stalls, and air conditioning replacing the original market, open to everyone 3 days a week. The official name was "John S. Patterson Market", named for the private caterer George F. Johnson paid to start the original market in 1917. The market closed sometime in the mid-50's and was converted to the Zing Factory for manufacturing.
EJ Workers Public Market, adjacent to C.F.J. Park, Johnson City, NY, built in 1934 for $120,000 with 40,000 square feet, 200 vendor stalls, and air conditioning replacing the original market, open to everyone 3 days a week. The official name was “John S. Patterson Market”, named for the private caterer George F. Johnson paid to start the original market in 1917. The market closed sometime in the mid-50’s and was converted to the Zing Factory for manufacturing.
Ranger/Paracord Factory adjacent to C.F.J. Park in Johnson City built in 1944 to produce footwear for the military. Locals referred to the new (and old) Paracord plant as the "rubber mill." C.F.J. Park swimming pool at left of picture. The Pagoda Pump-house can be seen at the left of the photo is the only preserved structure from this entire factory complex which covered about 30 acres. The Gannett printing facility now occupies this site.
Ranger/Paracord Factory adjacent to C.F.J. Park in Johnson City built in 1944 to produce footwear for the military. Locals referred to the new (and old) Paracord plant as the “rubber mill.” C.F.J. Park swimming pool at left of picture. The Pagoda Pump-house can be seen at the left of the photo is the only preserved structure from this entire factory complex which covered about 30 acres. The Gannett printing facility now occupies this site.
Looking West along Lackawanna tracks at Willow Street,Johnson City.Sunrise Factory in center completed in 1929 named to suggest a new day coming in the nation. Sunrise produced the all-rubber boots and overshoes for EJ with a walkway across the tracks to the Jigger Factory at right built in 1926, taking its name from the rubber-soled canvas-topped footwear called "Jiggers. Both factories initially used a common labor force of some 400 employees. In the summer,Sunrise workers produced foot-wear for winter use; in the winter, the same workers moved to the Jigger factory and produced footwear for summer use. Jigger was demolished in February 2012. Light factory at the left was the Fair Play Caramel Company.
Looking West along Lackawanna tracks at Willow Street,Johnson City.Sunrise Factory in center completed in 1929 named to suggest a new day coming in the nation. Sunrise produced the all-rubber boots and overshoes for EJ with a walkway across the tracks to the Jigger Factory at right built in 1926, taking its name from the rubber-soled canvas-topped footwear called “Jiggers. Both factories initially used a common labor force of some 400 employees. In the summer,Sunrise workers produced foot-wear for winter use; in the winter, the same workers moved to the Jigger factory and produced footwear for summer use. Jigger was demolished in February 2012. Light factory at the left was the Fair Play Caramel Company.
Sunrise Factory looking west. All Sports Factory on left partially obscured by smoke from train engine.
Sunrise Factory looking west. All Sports Factory on left partially obscured by smoke from train engine.
C.F.J. Annex (center) in Johnson City, housing the heeling, lining and trimming departments built in 1921.
C.F.J. Annex (center) in Johnson City, housing the heeling, lining and trimming departments built in 1921.
"All Sports Factory" in foreground at Lackawanna Railroad crossing at Baldwin Street, JC, NY built in 1923. Originally called South End Factory, then the Welt Factory. Ice skates and cleated athletic shoes were the most popular products. The Sunrise Factory can be seen on the left.
“All Sports Factory” in foreground at Lackawanna Railroad crossing at Baldwin Street, JC, NY built in 1923. Originally called South End Factory, then the Welt Factory. Ice skates and cleated athletic shoes were the most popular products. The Sunrise Factory can be seen on the left.
Pioneer factory complex at the corner of Willow Street and Corliss Avenue, looking west on Corliss Avenue occupied an entire block. The original factory had a 225 horsepower Corliss steam engine to supply power.
Pioneer factory complex at the corner of Willow Street and Corliss Avenue, looking west on Corliss Avenue occupied an entire block. The original factory had a 225 horsepower Corliss steam engine to supply power.
Endicott Johnson Complex on North Street, Endicott, NY
Endicott Johnson Complex on North Street, Endicott, NY
Nurses Home in Johnson City provided housing for 85 nurses and student nurses at Wilson Memorial Hospital (in background). The facility was given by C. Fred Johnson in memory of his wife.
Nurses Home in Johnson City provided housing for 85 nurses and student nurses at Wilson Memorial Hospital (in background). The facility was given by C. Fred Johnson in memory of his wife.
Chas. S. Wilson Memorial Hospital Annex on Clinton Street, Binghamton, NY
Chas. S. Wilson Memorial Hospital Annex on Clinton Street, Binghamton, NY
Fire Prevention Station No.1 on Avenue B in Johnson City,NY
Fire Prevention Station No.1 on Avenue B in Johnson City,NY
262

Any information about the locations of the photographs,
Frank Chetko, or EJ would be appreciated.
Captions by Bob Blakeslee who worked at EJ in the fifties are appreciated.
More of Frank’s photographs are available.

Contact Dennis Dunda (607) 722-4377

Visit http://www.kwikfold.com for trade show displays, photography,
and web site creation.